Purpose

This blog is mainly my devotional thoughts and musings about life, parenthood, marriage. I want to leave this as a legacy to my children so they know what their mother believed and thought. My life purpose is to know and love God and to serve Him whole-heartedly. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5, 6

Thursday 7 June 2007

On Colossians 2 and the Christian Walk

Wow, it's been way too long since my last post. I have to admit my devotional time has been minimal the past few weeks. It's too easy to find other things to do rather than spend time in God's Word, but I know that it is infinitely more beneficial to me to read the Bible (I just have to sit down and do it!). I have been spending time in prayer each morning before I start the day, and I am finding that amazing! It's been about a month now since I started dong that. Before that, I would just kind of pray whenever I had time (and that was not often). I need to be deliberate about my prayer life, and make sure I give God the first part of my day.

Anyway, here goes with my devotional time...

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." (vv. 6 - 7)

Again, Paul tells us how to live the Christian life. We need to continue on in the Lord - something accomplished through reading God's word and spending time in prayer (I need to remember that!). We need to continue building on the foundation of our salvation, not just remain where we were when we first received Jesus as Savior.

I have become complacent, like the church in Laodicea that Paul refers to in verse 1. In Revelation 3, John writes to the churches. To the church in Laodicea, God says, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth... I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see." (vv. 15 - 18) This church had become lukewarm. When God talks about buying gold, wearing white clothes and buying salve, He is talking about salvation. I know I am already saved and God will never "spit me out of His mouth", but I also know that He is disappointed when I do not live wholeheartedly for Him.

I am challenged by Colossians to live fully for God. I want my sons to see Christ in me and to see how important my relationship with God is to me. I regret that it probably hasn't seemed all that important from what they have seen of me lately. I do repent of that and trust that God will help me to make time to spend with Him, and that He will cause my boys to see that and be drawn to Him as well.

No comments: