Purpose

This blog is mainly my devotional thoughts and musings about life, parenthood, marriage. I want to leave this as a legacy to my children so they know what their mother believed and thought. My life purpose is to know and love God and to serve Him whole-heartedly. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5, 6

Saturday 14 July 2007

Falling Away

Isn't it funny (maybe not funny ha ha, but funny sad) how when we get busy with life, God seems to fall by the wayside. Or maybe it's just me. Since Ian's been home for summer holidays, I've been busy with him and the kids, and my God time has just about vanished.

I heard something on the radio this morning that really struck a chord with me. It was about how there has been a shift in Christian circles in the past few years from "How can I serve God?" to "How can God serve me?" We focus on how can God bless us, help us, take care of us - all of which are true - but our focus should be on what we can do for God regardless of our comfort or circumstances.

I feel so blessed. I've felt that way for a long time. Things are going well with my family. I have two healthy children, a wonderful, loving husband, a hobby/job that are doing very well, great in-laws, great friends. We are financially stable for now. We have a nice house, two cars, lots of neat stuff. I get to be a stay-at-home mom. What more could I ask for? God has truly blessed us. So I start to wonder when the shoe is going to drop, so to speak. How long can this last before disaster strikes? I know there will be hard times in our life, but I feel like we're tempting fate (?) by having it so good for so long. I know in my head that God doesn't work that way, but I still think that disaster can't be far around the corner.

So then I start to reason that if I spend more time with God, maybe He'll keep blessing us. And if I start to slide, then He's going to punish me by making something bad happen. That's the legalistic side of me. It is so untrue. God wants to bless His children. I need to stay close to God not because of what He'll do to me if I don't, but because I love Him and He deserves my time and devotion, regardless of my circumstances.

Okay, so I now resolve to spend time with God during this busy summer. I will make Him a priority because He is worthy of it. He should be the most important priority in my life. I will honour Him as He deserves.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Hi Shannon -

I completely understand you here. Since summer began (actually since April) I have been struggling terribly to spend time with God in His word and in concentrated prayer. I always have an ongoing dialogue with God throughout my day, but I don't really ever sit down and "AHHH" rest in God's presence and allow Him to teach me. Jon and I are really finding it hard for US right now - too many other things going on all the time. I am really missing him. We are committing to pray for our marriage and asking God to help us grow closer to Him and each other. Nothing major is wrong - we just never get a moment, you know?

As you have obviously noticed, I've not been calling you much either. I am so sorry. I really miss our friendship, Shannon. When you get back from Kelowna let's do lunch before I leave on our holiday (Aug 10). I would really like to have you guys over sometime before summer is over too - anyways. I finally checked out this blog site. It's really neat.

Have a great time in Kelowna. I hope you get your new van before you go (that would be so fun and roomy!)

Love and prayers,
Sherri