Purpose

This blog is mainly my devotional thoughts and musings about life, parenthood, marriage. I want to leave this as a legacy to my children so they know what their mother believed and thought. My life purpose is to know and love God and to serve Him whole-heartedly. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5, 6

Monday 14 January 2008

On Daniel 4 - Remembering God at All Times

Nebuchadnezzar has a dream that is interpreted for him by Daniel. Basically, God is telling the king that if he doesn't acknowledge that everything he has is from God, then the king will become insane and live like an animal, eating grass and being soaked with dew until he gives glory to God. Daniel advises the king to renounce his sins and be kind to the oppressed so that this punishment will not fall upon him.

I find it so strange that after all Nebuchadnezzar has witnessed from God - Daniel's interpretations of his dream, Daniel's friends being spared in the fiery furnace - he still won't acknowledge that God is supreme and in control of everything.

Of course, Nebuchadnezzar does not humble himself, and God's punishment falls upon him. When the king finally raises his eyes to heaven and gives God the glory, his kingdom is restored to him. He writes a letter to all the people of all the nations declaring that God reigns supreme over all.

It is easy to judge Nebuchadnezzar for his lack of faith, but how many times do I forget that God is supreme. I go about my life until something bad happens, then I pray and ask God for help. He helps, I say thank you, then I move on and forget about Him until the next crisis. Lord, help me to remember always that You are in control. You are God. You reign supreme. You are the King of kings and Lord of lords. Help me not forget to praise you at all times.

No comments: