Purpose

This blog is mainly my devotional thoughts and musings about life, parenthood, marriage. I want to leave this as a legacy to my children so they know what their mother believed and thought. My life purpose is to know and love God and to serve Him whole-heartedly. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5, 6

Saturday 18 August 2007

"Mercy in the Wilderness"

I've obviously been listening to a lot of music lately. I do that when I'm struggling! Steve Camp wrote a song called "Mercy in the Wilderness". I always loved it for the melody, but every time I listen to it, the words hit home more and more.

Every day that I walk with You
You break me down and You make me new.
Though my faith is tried, this I know is true:
There is mercy in the wilderness.

Through the valley deep and the mountain high
You have been my strength and Your Word my guide
I have known Your grace through the tears I've cried
There is mercy in the wilderness.

In the barren place where the harsh winds blow
Oh my flesh cries out, "Lord refresh my soul!"

Oh the Lord is kind and the Lord is good
He is faithful to His children
Through the fire and flood He has with me stood
He gives mercy in the wilderness.

Oh the chastening of the Father's hand
Yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness
Though our hope is born in sorrow there'll be joy at last
There is mercy in the wilderness.

So I thank You, Lord, for my every trial
The Father's love confirms me as His child

Wow! It is easy to get down and depressed when things are tough, but then we wouldn't learn what God wants us to learn. It is through these times that He can groom us to bear the most fruit. Granted, my tough times aren't that bad! I mean, just being tired and having a rough day with the kids hardly qualifies for hardship when you look at what many people in the world are going through! But it was a tough time for me. I guess it was the feelings of hopelessness, uselessness and emptiness that were getting to me. But I know that I have hope, purpose and fulfillment in Christ. Satan really wants to get me down and put me into a pit (I've been reading Beth Moore!). But I know the truth, and the truth will set me free!

I was looking at Steve Camp's blog (yes, he has one too!), and he says this about the song:

"The Lord uses times of deep sorrow and trial to make us, yes, make us run to Him and Him alone. There is mercy in the wilderness; and the wilderness is the merciful thing. God uses those wasteland experiences to conform us to Himself. "All things work together for good to those that love God and are called according to His purpose" not because at the end of the day everything is nice and neatly problem free. NO! But because "we are predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son!" (Romans 8:28-29)

We are servants with scars.

Though all may forsake you there is One who will never leave nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5); who will love you to the uttermost (John 13:1); who will stick closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24); who knows every one of our needs (Matthew 6:25-34); and will be attentive to the prayers of His children (1 John 5:14-15). If you ask Him for bread He surely will not give you a stone (Matthew 7:7-11).

He will lead you to the rock that is higher than you. Like David the Lord will raise you high above the tempest - to the rock that is higher than your storm; higher than your loneliness. Praise be to God David found a place of sanctuary and shelter in God Himself and you may as well if you place your faith and trust in Christ alone!"

I know this is a long post, but it's such an important lesson. Life is hard. The enemy is a roaming lion seeking to devour us (1 Peter 5:8). God will allow us to go through these times so He can teach us what we need to learn to grow closer to Him and more fruitful in our walk with Him. And there is MERCY in that WILDERNESS. He will be there through it all with us, upholding us with His love.

What a wonderful God we serve!

1 comment:

Living Beyond said...

Wow what fabulous lyrics - I'm not sure I have heard that one although I'm sure we have it somewhere. Shane loves his music.
I thought your post was great today very true - mercy in the wilderness! God bless you - Shelley