Purpose

This blog is mainly my devotional thoughts and musings about life, parenthood, marriage. I want to leave this as a legacy to my children so they know what their mother believed and thought. My life purpose is to know and love God and to serve Him whole-heartedly. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5, 6

Friday 3 August 2007

On Colossians 3 - Work for the Lord

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." (vv. 23 - 24)

How often I forget this. I have to stop seeking the approval of others. God is the One I should be concerned with. I need to ask myself constantly if what I am doing is for His glory.

I've been feeling rather purposeless lately. When I was a teacher, I had a noble calling - to shape the lives and minds of today's children. I could be their role model and impart knowledge on future generations! (Wow, that sounds good!) Every day was different - new challenges, new lessons, new conversations.

Being a stay-at-home mom is much less glamourous. But now that I look at what I just wrote about being a teacher, being a mom is pretty much the same thing. I just don't have to dress up in nice work clothes and do my hair everyday, and there's no janitor around here to clean up the mess! Plus, it's FULL time, not 8:30 - 4:00. There are no summer holidays around here!

I need to constantly remember that my calling is to be a Mom, and I need to work at that with all my heart. Adam and Noah are so precious, and I have a huge role in seeing that they follow the Lord. When I don't feel like playing with them or reading to them or listening to their whining anymore, I need to get off my rear and be a mom! This is for God's glory. I pray that God will help me fulfill His purpose in my life.

2 comments:

Living Beyond said...

I think that home schooling your children spiritually is THE biggest calling and I admire all those women who pour God into their children - it's obvious that you are doing that Shannon. And honestly - dressing up just to go to work isn't all it's cracked up to be!!!!! :)

Living Beyond said...

I'm not sure why I am showing up as fresh brewed faith but I hope you know it's me lol!!!